Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 108

    Amarillo, Texas - Amarillo KOA

    June 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    What day is it and where are we? Not a complaint, only a trip benefit.

    Beautiful and interesting scenery goes by and another restful stop to enjoy! On our way to Amarillo we passed through rolling plains for as far as one could see. Farms with newly plowed fields and ranches with wandering cattle. We are definitely in cowboy country. We're in the Texas panhandle. If you stop and look closely you can feel the lure of the old West and imagine life back in the pioneer days.

    A new crop has sprouted up on the northern Texas plains. A large white spinning crop has emerged. As far as the eye can see, there is mile after mile of thousands (no exaggeration) of windmills. The wind over the plains is being put to good use.

    Amarillo is situated in the grasslands of northern Texas surrounded by dense prairie and large ranches. It retains the culture of a hard nosed cattle town. One quarter of US beef is processed here. Meat packing is a major employer. Today's cityscape is filled with cactus, cowboys, steak, and oil. Urbanization has taken hold and caused downtown economic deterioration that is seen in many cities.

    Downtown aside, there's much interesting scenery to enjoy. So, saddle up buckeroo!
    Read more