Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    N Little Rock, AR - Little Rock N KOA

    June 8, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Now in another state, Arkansas! We can check off another of the states that we have not camped in. Remaining states are Rhode Island, Maine, Vermont, and Wisconsin.

    As for our one night stop in Arkansas, we are in North Little Rock. Amazingly we are just across the Arkansas River from Little Rock, the state capital. The pressence of the river is particularly significant now since the river and every tributary, creek, stream, lake, and bathtub here has overflowed big time. Farmers can now sell lakeside farmland. I think I saw the Ark tied up by a farmer's barn. This area has received the rain of the century. Farmland has received some serious damage. The road in front of our campground just reopened yesterday.

    While Little Rock may have some interesting sights, it probably is best for us to stay put, lest we have to confront flood waters somewhere. Besides, with our lack of interest in city life we don't feel any great urge to go to the big city. Also, there is another reason not to explore the city. Little Rock is a dangerous city. Crime appears to be a leading industry.

    While there may be a dark side to the city, it can't be all bad. The population has increased every decade since 1850. Apparently, many people have found an appealing good side to Little Rock.

    And finally, the question everyone has been asking. How did Little Rock get its name? It derives its name from a small rock formation on the south bank of the Arkansas River called the "Little Rock". The "Little Rock" was used by early River traffic as a landmark and later became a river crossing. And, not surprising, across the river from Little Rock there is a Big Rock on a large bluff at the edge of the river. Boy, what a story! Kinda makes you want to go "Rock" hunting along the river. What excitement!
    Read more