Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    First watch cycle and new routine

    July 19, 2023, North Sea ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    Last night we all mustered on board at midnight. We learned how to hold fast ropes on the pin rails. In the second hour I was on helm watch with John from Bergen.

    I slept until 11:30 am, where lunch became a defacto breakfast.
    Our second watch began at 12 noon. We learned the locations of sheets, braces, clew lines on the pin rails lining the deck.
    I was on buoy watch for the first hour. I was there with oli from Bergen. We chatted about school, living in Norway and travel. Buoy watch is nothing more than keeping an eye out for a 'man over board'. We had our first experience of wet weather on this watch.
    The rain began just 2 minutes before we started, lasting around 40 minutes. And it returned around 2:30.
    By then I was posted on lookout at the bowsprit keeping an eye on the sea and horizon. When the rain came it just hammered into you.

    Thankfully break time came at just the right time. Nico our watch leader let us step down to the cafeteria to warm up. There were 3 trays of warm chocolate cake with ganache. I even went back for seconds. And it was wonderful to get a warm cup of tea!

    Surprisingly we had mobile signal. We were still far from the shore, but could see it.
    Read more