Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Engine room, sailor training & les Mis!

    July 25, 2023, North Sea ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Tonight's watch was not as dark because we are continuing to move North.

    One of the Ordinary seamen Christian told us how to become a sailor in Norway.
    It generally consists of electrical/mechanical studies in 1st year and
    studying deck and engine for half a year before then having to choose one.
    This is equal to becoming an ordinary seafarer.
    To become an able bodied seafarer, 2 years must be spent on a school ship.

    Next you can do vocational higher education or university.

    Christian sang master of the house from Les Mis. He'd previously been on stage performing in front of thousands.

    I was on lookout with felix from Bergen. His parents are sailing across to Lerwick in their yacht. He has visited Lerwick once before and thinks it is very nice.

    The dawn was lovely. Especially the daylight this far north.

    2nd watch.
    Sustainability talk, engine room tour, taking in sails and wearing.

    We were given a short introductory talk about Sustainability by Sunniva an officer on board. Her knowledge is in navigation but she also has the role of sustainability officer.
    We were told the definition of sustainable development mentioned in the Brundtland report and discussed ways to help protect the environment. We also looked at the 3 pillars of sustainability: governance, environment and Social.
    Sustainability is an important part of Statsraad's current and future plans. Sailing ships like Statsraad are very green at a time when the International maritime organisation is clamping down on the biggest polluters.
    It was all very familiar to me, from my Sustainable development lectures at uni.

    Next we took down the main course, or the mainsail on the main mast. I was on fire watch, so didn't have to do too much of the sail work.

    11 of us visited the engine room this afternoon. Statsraad was one of the first school ships to have an engine. There is one engine and 2 diesel generators. These provide electricity when the engine isn't running. The engine also heats the hot water.

    I resurfaced in time for 3pm coffee break where we ate the best banana bread I've ever had. It's so much more moist. Not dry in the slightest.
    Finally we had to wear the ship. This involves hauling the braces to change the angle of the sails. This is different from a tack because we do it with the wind and have a wider turn.
    I was on the main brann brace or the topgallant in English. It was hard work, but worth it.

    Before tea one of the members of white watch gave a talk about his experience as a young guy on the school ship in the 1970s. He joined statsraad lehmkuhl in Bergen on a voyage organised by his school Oceanic in New York. They sailed from November 1972 for 7 months visiting france, the Gambia, Brazil and the Caribbean before returning to Bergen via the Azores. It was notable for being the first voyage to include women and also a newly installed hydraulic steering system.
    Read more