Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Last watch & arriving in Lerwick

    July 26, 2023, North Sea ⋅ 🌬 11 °C

    This watch started like every other but today's is the last watch as we will arrive in Lerwick by mid morning. I had my last physical watch, at the helm with John. We could see Sumburgh head lighthouse and the red lights from the radar domes.

    Earlier we took down the staysails. It was difficult to haul in the mizzen fall. We were all really tired. But eventually got it done. We did the same again for the main Staysail. And I worked with some norwegians to pack & fold the mizzen Staysails.
    You could tell everyone was ready for shore, we were all in high spirits as the last 20 minutes counted down. And we had some great laughs below deck discussing plans for what we'll do first when we moor. I've had an absolute ball. I wish it could have been longer! I've met so many great people. It's sad to leave them soon.

    We were awoken by funny norwegian music at 7:50 this morning. After a quick breakfast we started to give our Banjer a good spring clean. We finally arrived alongside Victoria pier at 9:30 am. We couldn't get off yet. At 10:30 a full muster was held on deck, where the captain gave a short speech thanking and congratulating us trainees on our trip. We all descended into the forward banjer where we each received a diploma and a statsraad lehmkuhl badge from the Sergeant, Mons. It was an amazing feeling to step up in front of all your peers clapping and encouraging you.

    I got selfies with Alan from Newcastle and Hans from Bergen before they left.
    Read more