Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Villamayor de Monjardin and on to Sansol

    September 13, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Day 10 Villamayor de Monjardin and Day 11 in Sansol - From Estella to Villamayor was a nice 11 mile walk past the Iratxe monastery, on the side of which is a popular fountain that dispenses water and/or red wine. I could only take a sip of this - too vinigery for my taste!
    Villamayor is a small town and I stayed at a wonderful Albergue run by volunteers from various countries - a German, 2 Italians, 2 Dutch and 3 Americans. I stayed in a dorm with bunk beds with 2 Korean women, one Swedish girl and one Canadian man who snored all night! But the dinner was amazing! The volunteers set up tables on the terrace overlooking the Romanesque Church and distant vineyards. 21 pilgrims and 8 volunteers from about a dozen or more countries ate under a sky threatening to rain, along with the thunder and lightening! Managed to finish before the heavens opened up to pour out the much needed rain.
    Soon after dinner we were invited to a meditation and prayer session. We came together in a low cavernous room set up with low sofas and cushions and dim lights. Mint tea was served. After some spiritual mumbo-jumbo and meditation we sat around and everyone recounted experiences on the Camino. It was very nice, peaceful and very, very friendly - a special Camino experience.
    Read more