Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    San Marino

    August 1, 2017 in San Marino ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We woke up late. After a delicious breakfast we set off in search of a bank that would change money. We keyed in "bank" into the GPS and set off. Later we would learn that the GPS was possessed, which explained why we were not able to successfully change any money. More about that later. We were down to just a few Euros and had no change to put in the parking meter. Parking illegally we headed to a local bank. You enter such these establishments through what looks like a time machine. A glass capsule that accommodates one person at a time intended to deter want to be thieves. We queued for over 40 minutes to learn that this bank only changes money for its customers. We chanced using the ATM that was inside. Problem solved.

    Thereafter we keyed "San Marino" into the GPS. 3.5 hours later and 170 km later we were in the middle of the country side. No San Marino. We had passed through some interesting countryside and more tunnels, but still had not spotted San Marino which according to the GPS was still 14 km away. We pulled over and checked the GPS. We soon realized that we were heading to San Marino Italy - not "the" San Marino which is a country in its own right. 40 minutes later we were driving across the border.

    San Marino is a mountainous microstate surrounded by north-central Italy. Among the world’s oldest republics, it retains much of its historic architecture. On the slopes of Monte Titano sits the capital, also called San Marino, known for its medieval walled old town and narrow cobblestone streets. The Three Towers, castlelike citadels dating to the 11th century, sit atop Titano’s neighboring peaks.

    After parking the car we walked a short distance to the cable car that would take us to the top of Mount Titano. There are splendid views from here and throngs of tourists. We visited the 3 towers atop the mountain. Apart from souvenir shops there is not much else to see.

    We headed down the cable car to the parked car. Keying in "Ancona" into the GPS we were surprised to learn that it was a little over 100 km back to the hotel. We were mostly on the AutoStrada and arrived back by 6.30 pm.

    For dinner that evening we went into the old down town area. We ate late at La DegOsteria. The food was excellent as was the local white wine.
    Read more