Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Gubbio

    July 31, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    After checking out of the hotel we set off in search of Gubbio. Gubbio is a medieval town in central Italy. High up in the mountains it is about 50 km from Perugia.

    After parking the car outside of the fortified walls of the town we set off to explore this town. After walking for more than an hour through the maze of winding streets we reached the Colle Eletto cable car which climbs to Mount Ingino. We ascended the mountain standing in little more than a metal "birdcage". Atop the mountain we had beer and soft drinks. After that we climbed a short distance to the 5-naved Sant’Ubaldo Basilica with views of the Apennines Mountains. Inside the Basilica is the 1000 year old embalmed body of St Ubaldo which sits inside a glass sacophagus. After coming down the mountain we had lunch at a nearby restaurant - Locanda del Cantiniere. Food here was superb and lived up to the high praise it had received in Trip Advisor. Stewart ate beef Tatare aka "Snappy Tom".

    We headed back to the car for the drive to Ancona. We passed through more than a dozen tunnels the longest of which was 1.2 km.

    We arrived in Ancona at 4 pm. The hotel "Ego" was located on the industrial fringe of the town on the coastal foreshore not too far from the main port. The hotel was new and modern with friendly staff.

    After having a relaxing happy hour drink at the hotel bar we headed out for dinner. The staff had recommended Tratoria Sot'Aj Archi. This Resturant specialized in Seafood. The mussels were excellent.
    Read more