Satellite
  • Day 31

    Journey to Yorkshire

    September 23, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    It was time to move on. My basic plan is to spend 3 nights in each place and no more than 4 hours drive between each place. That gives me 2 full days to explore and a whole day to travel which leaves plenty of time for detours.

    My first detour today was to have another go at finding access to The Wash national park. The gps produced a route but after many small, winding roads it ended at a private road so I turned around and set the gps for Yorkshire.

    Next detour was to Skegness. I've heard it mentioned many time, I'm just not sure in what context. Like Great Yarmouth the beach part is very touristy and very hard to actually see the beach.

    Next I stopped at Waltham at a little pub for lunch and a look at their windmill.

    I stopped to take a look at the Humber bridge before crossing it. It is a massive bridge, fortunately they still have a person accepting tolls on the northern side of the bridge.

    Pickering is a small town on the edge of the North York Moors. I stopped at the castle ruin. I'm glad I saw Castle Rising which is mainly intact (missing the roof and some upper floor floors) as it gave me an idea of what the Pickering Castle ruin may have looked like.

    I'm staying in Goatland in the North York Moors National Park. The sun was starting to set as I made my way in but it looks stunning.

    Goatland itself is a spreadout village. It is the setting of Aidansfield, of Heartbeat fame. I've been listening to one of Nicholas Rhea's books (his Constable series inspired the tv show). I'm looking forward to exploring tomorrow.

    I had dinner in one of the pubs and had my first Pims. Not quite sure what is in it but it took quite a while to make.

    Photos
    Waltham Windmill
    The Ship's Inn, where I had lunch
    Humber bridge
    Pickering Castle
    Moors
    View from my bedroom
    Read more