Satellite
  • Day 42

    Roads, rivers, bridges and a train

    October 4, 2016 in England ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    But no lakes.

    I thought I'd start the morning with a scenic drive, only 42 miles, it won't take long I thought. I didn't read the fine print.

    The route was well described, Coniston - Duddon Valley - Eskdale - Coniston.

    The author seemed to like rivers and bridges, the first few points of interest were stops to view (and paddle in!) the rivers and also the stone bridges that are built over them.
    I also saw bracken, it's more fern-like than I had imagined.

    I then found myself at Dalegarth Station with the minature steam train about to leave. I bought a return ticket with no idea where it went or how long it took. It went down to Ravenglass and was a very scenic journey. I saw banded cows - they were black or brown with a wide white band around their middle. Googling suggests they are a Belted Galloway.
    We had a deisel engine on the way back and it took 30 mins, as opposed to 45 on the way there.

    I then made my way over the Hardknott Pass, a steep winding road over the mountains. At one point when I was heading down I couldn't see the road in front of me. What made it worse was the cyclists and the cars coming on the other direction. It was single lane with passing areas along the way.

    But what a view. It was worth it, even if my heart was in my mouth quite often.

    Once I got through that I had to tackle Wrynose Pass and while it wasn't as difficult as Hardknott pass it was no piece of cake.

    From there it was relatively quick and easy back to Coniston. It was only then that I read the introductory statement "A drive that includes the most challenging mountain pass roads in the Lake District..."
    Although to be honest I probably would have done it anyway.

    I took a look at Tarn Hows and Coniston water.

    I went across the road for tea and I have been sitting in the bar of the Inn in which I am staying for the last hour. The wifi in my room is very patchy so I wanted to write this in the bar. I have spent most of the time chatting to a couple from the Peak district who have been giving me lots of suggestions for the rest of my trip.

    Photos
    View
    Forge Bridge
    Sheep on the road
    View on the way down Hardknott pass
    Cows - the black one wouldn't get out of my way!
    Coniston water
    Read more