Satellite
  • Day 44

    Peter Rabbit Country

    October 6, 2016 in England ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    Today was another of those days where I didn't end up where I'd planned but was happier with the result.

    I couldn't get a signal and therefore couldn't find the address of the Beatrix Potter exhibition so I put the address I had on a flyer into the GPS, this turned out to be Hill Top, the first farm Beatrix Potter bought and where she lived for a while. The National Trust owns and runs the property now.

    The ticketing was a bit weird, you bought a timed ticket and had to be waiting outside at that time but then you could just wander through at your own leisure. I was fortunate that a coachload was running late, I got a time in which I had to wait just 5 minutes instead of 35, and I avoided the crowds until I was just about to leave.

    I then made my way to Bowness on Windermere, via the Windemere ferry. I found the original exhibition I had been looking for. It was more like Beatrix Potter land, they had models of a lot of her books. It was good but seeing Hill Top farm was better.

    I had my first ploughman's platter and it included a small pork pie so I could tick both of them off the list.

    I spent the afternoon on Lake Windemere going south to Lakeside and then north to Ambleside.

    I'm again going to try for an early night, last night as I went to leave the bar I got drawn into a conversation about Brexit and the working man and then spent quite a while researching the peak district so no early night.
    Read more