Satellite
  • Day 56

    An island, a theatre and ancient stones

    October 18, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Last night I wrote the blog at the pub where I had tea. It was a very friendly pub and I got talked into staying for the weekly pub quiz.
    I competed on my own and did so badly it was funny. Out of a possible 60 points I scored 20, four of those were bonus points for competing on my own. It was a fun evening.

    This morning I went to St Michael's Mount, a tidal island not too far from Penzance. At low tide the causeway is accessible and you can walk over. Today that was 10-3 so I was able to walk over and back. I was in time for a village tour which was very interesting. 9 families live and work on the island.
    I got to have a pasty for lunch so that was my must do for Cornwall done.

    From there I went to Minack Theatre. This is an open air theatre that has been carved out of the cliff side, most by a woman who was still carving bits out, bringing bags of sand up from the beach and mixing concrete into her 70s. It is really amazing and has performances throughout the summer.

    Next up was Lands End. It was a bit of an anti-climax. All the information signs have been removed and everything was shut except the bloke in charge of taking photos at the sign.

    Men-an-Tol is a set of ancient standing stones about 1.5km off the road. It was a nice walk up the track with some inquisitive cows on both sides. One of the stones is round with a hole and meant to be a fine example of ancient stones. It was about 5:30pm by this stage so I played about with the light taking photos.

    Just after I left the pub where I had my tea I saw a badger! It crossed the road in front of the car. I was going fairly slowly due to the road so I got a really good look at it. It was about the size of a wombat but more agile and with a tail.
    It is something else to cross of my "would it be nice if I saw this" list. I admit I got rather excited shouting "you're a badger! You're a badger!" at it as it crossed the road.
    Closer to the B&B I saw a black rabbit and then I thought I saw another badger in the hedge... but it was a garbage bag. I may be a bit overtired.

    Photos
    St Michaels Mount
    Minack Theatre
    Minack Theatre Gardens - Rowena Cade, the woman do made the gardens, made these concrete columns.
    First and last house at Lands End
    Men-an-Tol
    Read more