Satellite
  • Day 21

    Wicklow mountains national park

    September 24, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ 🌙 3 °C

    Today was the start of the driving part of the trip. I picked up my car in Dublin. I had originally booked an intermediate size car but upgraded to a diesel car and I think I’m glad I did. The original car looked like a station wagon. The car I have is a VW Passat. It’s a bit fancy which means it has unnecessary bells and whistles. It keyless, stops itself when I’m stopped in traffic and has a tiny handbrake which makes hill starts quite hard. The first time I parked I couldn’t get it in reverse. There is no manual and eventually I had to ring the car hire place to ask them. It turns out you need to push the gear stick down and then put it in first to put it in reverse! Who designs these things??
    One thing I forgot to check before driving off was the speed limit! Fortunately I didn’t get too far before I saw a sign saying it is 50 km/hr in built up areas. Thank goodness for GPS! I don’t know where all the street signs are but I couldn’t find them. I saw three street signs, for minor streets off the major street I was driving on, on low walls. I didn’t see a sign for a major road.

    I made my way to Glencree which is at the northern part of the Wicklow Mountains National Park. From there to Glendalough I took the Old Military rd which was stunning. I don’t know if it is technically moorland but that’s what it reminded me of.
    The roads were every bit as narrow and windy as I had been warned they wold be. Even so I was still surprised at how long it took to get anywhere.

    I stopped of in Glendalough to take a look at the upper lake and all the beautiful scenery. I would have liked to spend longer but I was still a way from Waterford. I got here about 7pm. I’m staying in the industrial area of the town but the hotel and room are fine.
    Read more