Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Dordogne doddling

    May 14, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Weather finally on the up. Set off on the bikes after breakfast with a dual mission today. A chateau and some gardens, about 10 miles away. Both involved a stiff climb to even get to the ticket office which maybe explains the welcome lack of loud Americans who seemed to have taken over Sarlat. The chateau was at Castlenaud , and was brilliantly restored with lots of information everywhere. We did a lot of climbing up and down keeps and towers and it is was a wee bit " health and safety" in places, but well worth the slog up from the river.
    The gardens at Marquaysacc were only a couple of miles away from the chateau , but also a stiff climb up from the river. The whole area is filled with topiary box hedges, hand clipped by the gardeners. We thought they must get a bit bored....
    Some very flashy peacocks showing off, and also scavenging at the cafe tables which was novel.
    There was a 2k walk to a marvelous viewpoint overlooking the Dordogne, with canoes and boats serenely drifting by, and the village of la Roque-Gageac far below ( another of those "most beautiful villages in France" )
    A slow and slightly weary pedal home past drifts of meadow sage and glorious red poppies in the roadside verges.
    Beers in the sun by the van perked us up again.
    Read more