Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Au revoir, à bientôt

    May 30, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌬 17 °C

    Packed up for the final time and left our tranquil spot by the Chèr river. Decided to use the péage motorways for the last push north, which was smooth, quiet and fast. Still a little twinge of anxiety as we rolled up to every toll booth wondering if the dash box would work, but it didn't let us down.
    Our ferry not until 11pm so Ian had the idea of visiting Bayeux for the afternoon. Great shout. After a Breton galette for lunch we went to see the tapestry. It was astounding. Brings it home how tightly intertwined English and French history is.
    Then we walked over to the museum of the battle of Normandy. Excellent stuff, with lots of poignant exhibits and a movie that explained the almost inexplicable way the advance moved inland. Almost marred by a noisy American but we are used to that.
    Then we drove to the plage at Ouistreham. Probably a mistake as it was obvious we were in for a rough crossing. The wind was so strong half the beach was blown onto the road. Made a sandwich with our last pain traditionnel and then moved to the ferry terminal. Lovely staff , who manage to make security checks inside the van seem like a social event.
    Crossing as expected. Another group of rather more rowdy French schoolkids doing the makarena and congas round the bar at midnight before they were all rounded up and dispatched to bed by pretty hands-off set teachers who were enjoying the bar and oblivious to the mayhem . We watched with a last glass of Bordeaux
    Great trip, but looking forward to seeing everyone, and hugs.
    À bientôt la belle France.
    Read more