Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Brewery Flat, Narrandera, NSW.

    February 3, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We had a very short drive this morning and decided that this camp would do us for a relaxing afternoon. Tomorrow we have another short run as well.

    We are literally camped by a billabong. The only thing is we won't be lighting a fire. Our Billy will be boiled on the stove. We have decided to put out the solar oven to cook a piece of corned beef. The sun is out with scattered cloud. I am expecting the oven to reach 160 degrees easily. Solar cooking is a good way to reduce our usage if gas.

    The area here is fairly quiet with only the sound of a few cars on the highway a couple of metres away. Cicadas and crickets all around D. Expecting more birds later. The ducks that were here when we arrived decided to move away until they worked out if we posed any threat.

    While we were having lunch mother duck and daddy duck wandered out from their hiding place in the reeds with 5 baby ducks. Only 20 metre away they were unconcerned by our presence and roamed around foraging. Eventually they ducked back into the water and swam away. Later they returned a couple of times. Not much cuter than baby Australian wood ducklings. There were also pacific ducks visited not too far away.

    Even with a late start we managed to cook our meal in the solar oven today. The scattered cloud certainly slowed the process but there was sufficient energy to get the job done.
    Read more