Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Paynes Island, Wallaga Lake.

    March 11, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We are here waiting for the sunset. Flotillas of birds are bobbing around on the seaward side of the lake, but that is not the direction of the sunset. We will have a nice view of the setting sun later over the lake on the other side.

    The lake has been traversed with a causeway and a low bridge. Before the road the small island would have stood alone in the middle of the lake. We are sitting on the eastern side of the road. When the sun sets we will find a vantage to watch over the western side of the lake.

    A few spoon bills have just left on their way to a safe night roost. Sooty oyster catcher will most likely leave soon to their night rest. Where do the seagulls go? They always appear instantly from nowhere if you buy fish and chips. Perhaps there is a seagulls dimension. The swans also leave soon to head off to roost.

    Several fishermen emerge from under the low bridge on their way to the sand bank in the middle of the seaside lake. They beach their boat and head off with a bucket and yabby pump in search of bait that might take the interest of a nice legal sized fish. Two there people are fishing from the shore while others are stationed on rocks at the side of the road. The other side someone is strolling along the sandy edge entertain a dog.

    The cool breeze here is whispering through the shady oak trees after it lazily strums the ripples in the lake. Anyone out in the open sea is probably having thoughts if returning to shore before the going gets too rough.

    The sun is descending on its predictable arc towards the hills on the other side of the lake. There is the beginnings of a more rosy light over the lake.

    We decided to take our chairs over to ythe edge of the road. The low tide allowed us to sit and watch the show. It was a nice sunset but all over quite quickly. The heavy cloud on the horizon seems to have absorbed the sunlight. Now there is just a little reddish grey on the higher wispy clouds. A very relaxing way to end the day.
    Read more