Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Toomulla Beach

    August 4, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Toomulla Beach is right on the coast not far north of Townsville. I say that because we encountered quite a few "beaches" that were a sandy point on a river. A small tidal creek enters the ocean along a north run right on the beach for a short distance.

    Along the banks of the muddy Creek fisher persons hopefully cast their lines. All but a couple of unlucky fish made it safely past the baits. Not sure they all avoided the crocodiles though. I walked down near the boat ramp but failed to spot any crocks. Of course the locals will tell you they definitely are there. Perhaps cruising a bit further up the creek.

    One of the attractions is the tree walk. This teak makes it way north and eventually meets the coat beyond the creek entrance. Many trees have had a sign placed at the trunk to help visitors identify them. If you visit this area it is well worth the small detour from the highway.

    We camped overnight and enjoyed waking up to the sounds of the bush. Quite a few early birds around tweeting, warbling and chirping their joy of the beautiful morning.

    The camping area is well set up with a good supply of drinking water direct from the hills a bit further north. Crystal Creek was once the water source piped all the way back to Townsville. Today it still supplies part of Townsville's water needs.
    Read more