Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Fletcher Creek Camp Area

    September 6, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We have stopped here before for a rest stop and a walk before heading elsewhere. We are now quite close to Charters towers and will visit there to shop on our way to our next planned camp at Burdekin dam.

    On our other stop and a couple of drive bys this spot seemed to be just too busy and filled with up to 200 vehicles mainly stopping for the night. This time I think we are later in the season and the numbers are quite fewer. There are 3 camping areas with the area we are in running quite a way along the small running creek. The main area with fa ilities is not so close to the creek but there are quite a few tracks.

    We are thinking that we might stay two nights so that we can enjoy a whole day here while it is not so busy.

    Setting up was a bit interesting. The Black soil has cracked deep down into the depths of the subsoil. A tent peg hammered laboriously into a block of rock hard soil finally chattered the block and came loose. I finally found a crack that was only 15cm deep and hammered my long peg in. It seems to be holding for now but I might need to use a longer sand peg it it does come loose.

    Along the creek there are quite a few birds. The lorikeets are enjoying the flowering tree not far from our camp. They are often noisy and often bicker and chase others away. A blue winged Kookaburra has set up a vigil just away from the creek in a shady spot and the pale headed Rosella has visited. The twitches part of the team is busy taking photos.

    A bit later we walked a few hundred meters up the creek to take a look. The area is quite picturesque with a few water birds. Probably later in the day there will be many more smaller birds coming in for a drink before they head off to roost for the night.

    Some of the vans in the upper campground seem as if they might be planning to stay awhile. Long hoses lead into the clear creek and back up to a pump. That is connected to the van water inlet. It is permissible to camp here for up to 4 weeks in any two month period. I suspect Fletcher Creek has been a popular camping ground long before the mass travelling public found it.
    Read more