Satellite
Show on map
  • Meunga Creek

    June 7, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Years ago, another car, another trailer, it was epic wet weather. We had just purchased Wikicamps and discovered that this place existed.

    We were heading north and had planned to stay here. The trip thus far had been wet. Very wet. A couple of nights at Platypus camp had gone bad. The camper became a wading pool and everything was wet. Fortunately our bed had stayed dry and we thanked the goddess of Karma for small mercies.

    It rained most of the way here and was pelting by the time we pulled up. The owner was quite understanding as we explained we just would find it impossible to face another wet camp. We promised we would return one day and shoved off to find a cabin in Tully.

    It has been a long time since then and we are back. It did rain most of the night but in a van that was no drama. This morning is overcast with moments of subdued sun but the temperature is very pleasent. After the biting wind at Malanda in the late afternoon it is a welcome change.

    In the creek beside us there is flowing water. The birds are very active and cheerful. Just on daylight around six o'clock a local kookaburra decided to be my alarm. I was awake after he announced loudly that he was ready for the day.

    This is the kind of camp where you could easily chill for several days.

    The second photo here is the new mozzie zapper. A few seem to get in every night and this seems better than aerosol sprays. There were quite a lot of those little insects that seem to fly through the screens and annoy us while reading.
    Read more