Satellite
Show on map
  • Critters camp

    July 17, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    A worthwhile trip when you visit Normanton is the railmotor journey to Critters Camp. The 70 year old railmotor makes an easy run over the 130 year old track. About 95% of the railway is what was originally laid.

    Critters camp is one of the points on the line where the railmotor can be turned around. A short curve runs off at right angles and switches back the other way.

    All about the name.... Apparently when the camp was setup in 1989 one of the workers was bitten on the derryairre by a redback spider. There were other biting "critters" such as venomous snakes so hence the name. Not at all about the cute fuzzy critters also seen here.

    Critters camp was reconstructed in 1989. It was the turn around point then for the couple of trains that ran along the line. When the Norman River was flooded supplies and people could be brought from Normanton and taken across by the flood boat. Here everything was loaded on the train and taken the remaining 80 miles back to Croyden.

    When the gold ran out at Croyden the turn around rails were taken out as they were not needed for the once a week service.

    In 1989 the rails were replaced to cater to tourists wanting to travel this railway.
    Read more