Satellite
Show on map
  • Duwadarri Lookout Hike

    July 25, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    This was probably the hardest walk we have done. Possibly having done the other walk this morning made us a little more fatigued. The route in places was climbing up over rocks and fairly big steps. We took the easy option, returned back the way we went, and did not take the steep steps.

    Today we walked altogether about 8.5 kilometres according to the GPS logger. My watch has logged 18,500 steps. Still a bit of time left to get a 20.000 step one day record. 😁

    From the sign.
    2.5km one way
    - the "long and easy way" allow 1.5hrs 920m one way
    - the "short and steep way" allow 1 hr
    Best time: avoid the heat ofthe day.

    The most direct route to Duwadarri lookout includes a very steep hill climb, not recommended unless you are a fit and experienced bushwalker. The alternate route, or 'the long and easy way' to reach Duwadarri lookout means walking the tracks in a clockwise direction, visiting Indarri Falls and Indarri Falls lookout before continuing along the rim ofthe gorge to Duwadarri lookout.
    Take in views over Middle Gorge and
    Duwadarri Waterhole contrasting with the dry savanna landscape. Ifyou take this option a very steep descent leads you back here.

    FUN FACTS.
    The Spinifex Story from an info sign....

    Boodjamulla is largely covered in spinifex the spiky grass you see while walking on these tracks. It provides protection for animals from predators and extreme temperatures, and is essential nesting habitat for many bird species, including the threatened Carpentarian grass Wren.

    The old growth spinifex you see supports a rich abundance of termites. which are food for reptiles, birds and mammals.

    Boodjamulla's TraditionalOwners, the Waanyi people, would burn patches of spinifex as they moved across the land creating a variety of ages in the grass.

    Today we burn early, like the Waanyi people did, to avoid hot summer wildfires burning out large areas of country. Burning this way reduces the scale and severity of naturally occurring summer wildfires and promotes healthy spinifex communities.
    Read more