Satellite
Show on map
  • Morning Walk - Conn Waterhole

    August 20, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    The river network here is an enormous series of mostly dry channels covering a huge area. Come the wet season it is a huge expanse for of water with only the tops of the trees giving a clue how shallow the waters really are. As the water recedes after thee rains, the floodwater cuts channels into the black soil along the flow.

    For reasons I don't understand, in some places there are huge wide and sometimes quite long waterholes left filled with muddy water long after the floods have made the long journey to Lake Eyre.

    After the floods there are areas where the black clay soil shrinks as it dries leaving huge cracks in the ground. Walking requires one to watch foot placement to avoid twisting an ankle or worse.

    Today we set off from the camp, along the waterhole. We came on to the power line then followed that until we reached the road from the highway. By this time we were glad of the ease of walking on the crack free road back to our camp. In an hour and fifteen minutes we walked 3.3 kilometers.

    There were no birds to be seen after we veered away from the waterhole.
    Read more