Satellite
Show on map
  • Eulo Flood Truck and Air Raid Shelter

    September 14, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    It is interesting the innovation in our great country. The creek crossings are too deep for the cars and trucks. Let's put a lift kit in the old truck.

    Now an air Raid shelter in way out in the sticks Eulo? Seems unnessary right? Well perhaps if you consider how close we are to Charleville, and the crucial role of the base there you might have been a nervous native. I was not aware myself of the importance of Charleville base until we took the military history tour there on our last visit.

    Info on display at the Eulo Shop

    THE OLD EULO FLOOD TRUCK

    LOCATED ON THE NORTHERN SIDE OF THE STORE

    So the famous Eulo flood truck is back at the Store! Not to pick up groceries and people this time, but for us to reminisce! For those who are wondering, the flood truck is an old Dodge that has been raised in order to be able to drive through flood waters and carry people and goods through to the other side. Under the careful guidance of her regular driver Brian Luetchford, she could take on the 1.2m of Paroo floodwater safely. Using the swirls made by water rushing by the tops
    of the guideposts and the bumps of the stone pitching on the road edges below, Brian made countless journeys from one side of the Paroo to the other. Whether it was food, patients for the RFDS Clinic, mail, whole shearing teams or just those desperate to get to the pub, she performed an invaluable service to the people of the southwest - and she never once stopped in the middle!

    It was a great experience to ride on the flood truck, climbing up the ladder to the back, dodging the holes in the floor and if you were quick, you might get a spot to sit on the old bus seat and take in the view of the mighty Paroo in flood! She was originally donated by local grazier Tim Ecroyd, and the Bulloo Shire then carried out the modifications necessary for her to cross the River at Eulo when inflood so that people and groceries could cross the Paroo and then in turn allow the same to be freighted further west to them. It's about 5 years since she has been decommissioned, as we have a new flood truck now (still fairly wild) but her service to the community won't be forgotten!

    AIR RAID SHELTER

    THE SHELTER WAS BUILT DURING WWII BY THEN STORE PROPRIETOR, HILTON NEWSHAM (GREAT GRANDFATHER OF CURRENT STORE OWNER!) TO PROTECT EULO RESIDENTS IN THE EVENT OF AN ATTACK BY THE JAPANESE. THE DESIGN OF THE SHELTER IS KNOWN AS AN 'ANDERSON AIR RAID SHELTER', COMMONLY REFERRED TO IN THE WAR AS 'THE ANDY'.
    Read more