Satellite
  • Day 8

    Alot of highs and a low

    January 10, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Big day today. I hired a car the night before so I was ready to set off early in the morning. First stop was the 7 eleven atm then off I went.

    The plan was to go to various cenotes as I am abit obsessed with them and I wanted to see as many as possible.

    First one was the Grand Cenote just out of Tulum. Not so grand after all.
    Next was the Car Wash Cenote - yes thats the name. That one was like a minature lake and you could walk around it through the bush which was nice.

    Next I was headed for a cenote near the town of Coba. Well I missed the turnoff by a long shot and decided to keep on driving to Chichen Itza a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of Mexico's major tourist destinations. Its even been named one of the new seven wonders of the world although there has been abit of controversy around the process of selection.

    Long drive but it was fate as I had thought about going the night before.

    So of coursework I got there at the worst possible time and had to queue for about 40 minutes. But the ruins were impressive. The experience is spoilt by the street vendors who are all over the site and constantly blowing into these wooden whistles which make very realistic tiger and jaguar sounds. And you get the usual hawking and offers of goods 'so cheap its practically free'.

    On the way back I ended up driving through a lovely colonial town called Valladolid (I was driving without a map and relying on signs!). Anyway it had lots of lovely buildings and pastel colours.

    Some of the highway stalls make for great photos as you can see.

    On returning the hire car - disaster! My credit card is gone and its the one that doesn't charge for currency conversion. Retracing my steps I might have left it in the atm or dropped it in the 7 eleven.

    When I ask at the 7 eleven they pull out about 15 credit cards! Sadly mine is not there so email home to get the card cancelled was next on the agenda.

    A bad end to a great day but I can't let it ruin (ha ha) things.
    Read more