Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Another country!

    January 11, 2017 in Belize ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Belize today! And from now on all the remaining countries have zika travel warnings. We leave early and take a mini van to Belize. We stopped for breakfast at this great cafe/bar in Bacalar and as you can see I had no trouble finding the perfect spot!

    Its right on a lagoon and so peaceful and relaxing.

    At the mexican border we all get out of the van get our luggage and walk through customs then get into the van and cross the border then drive through a no man's land. Then at the Belize border out again with the luggage and walk through customs. And in the heat with the queues it was exhausting.

    I asked our tour guide to show us where the mexican border actually was and he didn't know! He's mexican and supposedly one of the tour company's very knowledgeable guides! We were all
    speechless.
    So I started walking around and found it!

    We got to San Pedro then caught a boat to Caye Caulker which was exhilarating. Beautiful blue ocean sitting outside on the boat with the breeze.

    Caye Caulker is so relaxing and the water is so blue. We have three nights here which is great.

    I attend my first group dinner at a local restaurant which is much cheaper than the touristy places.

    And what does zika scared girl who has with her every conceivable mosquito bite prevention measure do on her first night?! Go out in a t shirt and cropped pants with no mosquito repellent!!

    Overall Belize is on par with any western country re its prices but you can still eat cheaply.
    Read more