Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Emerald Pools

    May 29, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Then it was on to the Emerald Pools. The first part of the walk is rated 'easy' to the lower pool so we knew that there would be lots of people. I think we were all disappointed with the overwhelming crowds of people on the trail. The first pool was under a very large undercut arch in the wall (another weeping wall). The trail went against the wall and through some of the water drips and then up and around to the middle and upper pools. We continued on and found that the crowds did, too. It was a long, hot upward slog to the upper pool. We were looking forward to a peaceful rest in the cool shade. We realized that wasn't going to happen as we arrived. People crowded around everywhere and, despite the 'no swimming' signs, kids were running around the bank of the pool and wading into the water. A few would actually paddle for a few moments before jumping back out. We watched one guy on a rock act like he was going to jump in, sure enough he did, like a belly-flop style cannonball. He later got a snorkel mask and went back in! Agh! We sat and tried to relax but it was impossible with all of the people misbehaving.

    On our way back down we saw a side trail and the people coming toward us. They told us that it was a trail to the middle pool and that it was peaceful, no one was there. We thanked them and joked that they should tell no one else. It was only a minute's walk and yet we found a quiet little pool and no one around. Wow, it was wonderful. We sat in the shade and talked to a quartet of young people who also stopped to enjoy the quiet. It was probably our most favorite part of the hike, maybe even the day.

    After hiking back to the lodge we took the shuttle to the entrance and walked to our room. We only stayed for a short time to cool down and then took the shuttle through Springdale to the rock shop. Ed wandered for at least 30 minutes before settling on two specimens. Dinner was pizza, and then back to the room to rest. They are playing all of the Harry Potter movies on one channel so we just watch whatever one happens to be playing. We happily sat and watched and rested. I think we were all worn out. My watch logged 6 miles of active walking exercise and 9 miles in total today. Time for bed.
    Read more