Satellite
  • Day 6

    Valley View

    June 2, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    The drive to Monument Valley took just over an hour (just like Google maps had predicted). Along the way we went over the Moki Dugway. It is a switchback gravel road that leads over the edge of the mesa to the floor below. As you get to it, it looks like you are about to drive off the edge of the world. The road isn't the worst we have been on, and actually felt quite safe, but it is impressive.

    We are staying in the park itself at The View Motel. I'll put in a photo of the view from our hotel room, it is gorgeous. We ate at the restaurant which was decent food and spent the rest of the evening sitting on the balcony looking out over Monument Valley. Once the sun set, they projected the movie "Stagecoach" on the side of the building for our evening entertainment. We could see it from our balcony so we didn't go down to the patio. I saw two bats fly by in the darkening sky and watched the first stars appear. It is supposed to be very dark here - perfect for viewing stars. That is why every room has a balcony; to have a view over the valley and star gaze after dark. This place is a real treat on our trip.
    Read more