Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Venice - last day

    October 24, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    After breakfast we rode the local bus #5 to the Grand Canal bus station, Venice. We hiked over to the water taxi stand and caught a beautiful wooden boat to San Marco’s Plaza along the Grande Canal all the way past gorgeous Venetian sites. Once we were let off we were strolling along the malecon along the seaside until we turned the corner in front of the Ducal Palace and then the Basilica Cathedral with the edifices enclosing the Square-it was truly awe inspiring. We stopped to enjoy the magnificence. Then we started hearing some excellent music coming from a sidewalk cafe right on the square. We walked over , we’re seated by tuxedo-clad waiters and had a wonderful relaxing lunch in the midst of this out of the world beauty.
    After dining , we wandered all over the area for several hours, amazed at the incredible sights. We, of course, also enjoyed the unique shopping, particularly the Murano hand blown glass that was for sale everywhere. After satisfying our Jones for shopping, having a couple of pistachio pastries we returned to the wharves and found a water taxi back to the bus terminal.
    Back at the hotel at the airport we finished repacking and redistributing the weight to 50 pounds each( including a new additional wheeled duffle bag we bought yesterday). That made 5 large suitcases and 2 large carry-ons to be checked.
    Read more