Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Menaggio, Italy

    May 19, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    June 2017
    Directly across the lake from Varenna, and equally close to Bellagio, Menaggio makes a fine base from which to explore the northern and southern sections of the lake. Popular with British visitors and home to some residents who commute 8 miles to Lugano, Switzerland, this aesthetically pleasing, extremely laid-back town is similar to Bellagio, though it is somewhat less popular. Once a walled city in medieval times, today it’s a bustling resort filled with hotels, restaurants, live entertainment, arcades, shops, and even a mini-golf course. It’s quite possible to spend an entire day lazing about the lovely lakefront promenade, with its flower beds and palm trees, but it’s worth climbing the steep stairs to explore the older part of town, where you can see remnants of the former wall. If you’d like to escape for a bit, nearby Breglia is a good starting point for hiking trails ranging from easy to difficult.
    Gravedona has one of the best waterfront promenades of any town on Lake Como, with bike paths, sandy beaches, and public tennis courts.

    Argegno is not as glamorous as Varenna and Bellagio, and that is its charm. Impervious to the frenetic activity on other parts of the lake, it has retained its individual character, and remained a simple, unspoilt village where locals far outnumber visitors. It offers travelers a glimpse of authentic village life. Argegno is well known for its cable car that takes you up to the town of Pigra which is at an 800m altitude. From the top the panoramic views are incredible.
    Read more