Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A little train trip

    June 19, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    The Ghan has been an iconic Australian rail journey for many years. Whilst it was once an epic trip with several legs with train changes and a variety of rail gauges en route from Adelaide to Alice Springs, it is now an easy 3 day/2 night tour extended through to Darwin.
    The rooms are quite small but most of the time is spent in the dining and lounge cars, watching the countryside passing by and chatting with others. Aside from a mid night stop at Tennant Creek for a driver change and perhaps refueling, the only stop between Alice and the top end is a 4 hour stop at Katherine, just long enough for a trip to the gorge.
    Whilst the gorge looks like a lovely place for a dip, the crocodile nesting signs on the beaches, the odd freshwater croc sightings and the appetising (to crocs) buoys strategically placed for checking whether the teeth marks are fresh or saltwater jaws are enough to keep me out of the water.
    Another interesting sight in Katherine was the sky crowded with whistling kites (featered ones).
    Whilst my hair is well on its way back to the blond of younger years, it seems not far enough for a journey such as this.😁
    Read more