Satellite
  • Day 16

    Modena

    November 28, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Modena. The town that gave us Ferrari cars and balsamic vinegar. It also lays claim to Luciano Pavarotti whose funeral was held in its Duomo. It's a lovely sweet little town with not much in terms of spectacular monuments. "The charm of Modena is Modena. It's little shops, it's bicycles..." said a man from Seattle who has been living in Modena for many years. In Modena, bicycles rule. Every cyclist must think they are behind the wheel of a Ferrari in a demolition derby. Fast, and if you’re in their way, they'll run you over. We have learnt to approach streets, alleys, junctions and corners with great care least a cyclist appears with intent to kill.

    Like all great Italian destinations, Modena is about food. Great food like nonna would cook. Giant raviolis filled with tasty pumpkin, tasty meats that are just boiled or grilled and with no fuss preparation. Just their yummy pesto, all served up with great service, smiles and grace; even to grubby, bedraggled travelers like us.

    Oh dear. News flash. I'm writing this whilst on the train. A cap from a spray can that I uncapped flew across the train, ricochet and landed amidst 4 very serious looking men in suits, with laptops, pens and paper, having what looked like a business meeting on the train. I cracked up laughing as 2 of the men very chivalrously went on their hands and knees to help retrieve the cap that was sliding all over the floor. Grace insist that I also mention that I provided the train carriage with entertainment as the passengers all around us had a good chuckle. Anyway, cap retrieved, I apologised profusely as the men resumed their serious men's business.
    Read more