Satellite
  • Day 31

    Siena

    December 13, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    Today we must have been hungry, cold and dateless tourists. Here are the reasons.

    We went to the locals market this morning that sold mainly clothes and homeware but also some food. We quickly walked through the clothes and homeware to find the food. The food was mostly fruits and vegetables and fish but there were a few stalls that sold hot food. Hot whole chicken, Pork shanks and various deep fried goods. We bought fruits and vegetables for dinner and got given free lemon and parsley. Then we got breakfast. We were given extra meat in our delicious Suckling Pig roll and got many free tastings. The store holder handed us an Italian calendar saying it was a souvenir. We must have needed dates for 2018. A whole calendar full of dates.

    We found a sock lady at the market selling socks designed with bugs, cows, pigs and many other interesting designs. We bought 6 pairs of fun socks and got given 4 free frightfully ugly yellow socks - “[pointing to four of us] uni, dos, tres, quattro, [1,2,3,4] present!”. We were freezing but didn’t think we showed it enough to be given free socks and I thought 5 layers rugged me up enough. Apparently not.

    Later that morning we stumbled upon another food market for the celebration of Santa Lucia. It was like the Sideshow alley lolly vans at the Perth royal show but Italian. Filled with Italian sweets from nougat to fudges to cakes to lollies. As we made our way through the markets, we got handed free tasters from almost every store.

    So, super full and almost rolling from all the free food, we made our way to the Duomo (Siena Cathedral) art galleries for a quiet afternoon.

    After Swee and I finished at the galleries, we proceeded on an accidental 4km walk around Siena. Accidental because we just kept getting lost through the beautiful side streets and alleys that Siena has to offer.
    Read more