Satellite
  • Day 17

    Heading Home

    June 11, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We've cancelled the last 3 nights stay at Karajini Eco Retreat and are heading home now. We've seen all the gorges we can access, and even did Joffre Gorge twice There was a fatality just before we arrived, so park rangers will declare the gorges closed on the slightest threat of rain, and there's been some unseasonal rainfall this week. Also, bad and terribly corrugated gravel roads have made other gorges inaccessible to us in our Forester. Big 4WDs like LandCruisers that are driven by experienced drivers who have traversed unsealed tracks around Australia have struggled with those roads, resulting in blown tyres, wrecked solar panels, and a vehicle even having to stay the night to wait for a tow in the morning. Certainly not for us.

    I'm looking forward to doors. I miss doors. Yes, doors. Those simple rectangular nondescript portal that leads from one room to another. The one where there's a knob or handle that I don't have to bend, just turn with a twist of the wrist , and just kick shut with a flick of the knee or foot. Simple, open door and kick shut. Never take that for granted ever ever again. When camping, there are no doors. There are zips. Big, long zips. To get into the tent, you have to unzip from top to bottom or bottom to top. No unzipping a small hole in case you break the zip squeezing your body in. Worse than the zip whilst camping is a broken zip. So, it's a long stretch and bow to unzip the tent. Quickly get the body in, and the quickly repeat in reverse, bow and stretch to zip up the tent so flies, mozzies and other uninvited guests don't get in. All that just to get into the corridor of the tent. Repeat unzip and zip to get into the bedroom or vestibule storage area. Once you've finished your tent business, it's bend and stretch again to unzip, and then stretch and bend to zip up tent. Apart from all that zipping and unzipping is finding the beeping zip! It's never in the same place. More bending and stretching, is the zip at the top or the bottom? Those possessed bleeping things move themselves once a human walks away, just for the fun of it. And glamping is not any better. It's worse. Instead of one long zip that does vertical and horizontal of the doorway, there are 2 zips! Unzip the vertical, unzip the horizontal ........ You see why I've enough of paying bowing and prostration homage to the zip gods, and just want a door to kick shut! When I get to Perth, I'm not doing zips for a long time. I'm wearing tights so I don't do zips of jeans. No more zips!!
    Read more