Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Jan 31 - The Duck Boat

    January 31, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    We had just enough time to get some cabinet food (pre-made sandwiches) before our next adventure. Eleven of us had opted for a ride in a Duck Boat. The Duck Boat is an amphibious WWII landing craft that holds 20 passengers, each equipped with a bright yellow duck call. Ours was driven by our "conducktor" Nick who kept up a steady banter of stories, history-telling and bad jokes. We toured around Rotorua, quacking at anyone and everyone. We stopped at Lake Rotorua and heard the legend of the princess and the warrior who her father considered not good enough for his precious daughter. But love conquered all and their devotion to each other eventually convinced the father to give his blessing to the relationship. Ahhhhh......

    We headed out of town to picturesque Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake) for the our first splashdown. The theme from Jaws heralded our successful launching. The water in the lake is blue, blue, blue because of the type of rock at the bottom that refracts the blue part of the prism. The water is so clean that you can drink it. The theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark celebrated our successful return to dry land. Interestingly, Nick's supervisor, Josh, checked all around the vehicle before proceeding for any kind of plant material to ensure that plants are not transported to other lakes where they could proliferate and choke off the fish and natural habitat plants.

    Our next stop was Lake Okareka for our second splashdown - Mission Impossible this time. There is a guest house there that has seen the likes of Tom Cruise and Shania Twain. The place is yours for about $5000/night/per bedroom!!! Maybe next time.... The theme from James Bond accompanied our exit from the lake.

    We headed back into town past wonderful forests. About 75% of all the trees found in New Zealand are found no where else in the world. These islands truly are special biospheres.

    On our way back to the hotel, we serenaded all those within earshot with Neil Diamond's song Sweet Caroline. The duh-duh-duh part was replaced with loud duck calls. Crazy fun on a lovely, sunny Friday afternoon.
    Read more