Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    May 20 - Early Game Drive

    May 20, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    We were up at 5:00 a.m. for a 5:30 a.m. breakfast. The staff here at this lodge are incredibly accommodating – they had a full buffet prepared and graciously took hot breakfast orders. We hopped in the van about 6:00 a.m. to head back to Hluhluwe iMfolozi Park for our 7:00 a.m. game drive. It was a lovely, clear day – so different from the rainy, cold conditions of yesterday.

    Within a few minutes, we saw rhinos – more of them and much closer than yesterday. We could get a clear look at their lethal horns.

    Then we were treated to a big buffalo in the middle of the road. And then a whole herd of buffalo at a watering hole.

    We made a stop at Hilltop Lodge. The staff kindly let us use the patio area to see the sweeping countryside. Colette scoped out the kinds of rooms that they have for possible future bookings.

    A cheeky monkey danced in the tree but sat long enough for me to snap a selfie.
    Once we set off, we saw a zebra – not one of the Big Five, but fabulous to see.

    We stopped for morning coffee/tea/snacks where a blue-balled monkey was snatching any crumbs that he could.

    Back on the road, we saw a herd of wart hogs. And then our early morning game drive came to an end. No additions to our BRELL count, but we had a lovely time in the glorious sunshine.
    Read more