Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    May 22 - Panorama Route

    May 22, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Our plan for today was to drive the Panorama Route which is a scenic road connecting several cultural and natural points of interest. The route, steeped in the history of South Africa, is in Mpumalanga province, centred around the Blyde River Canyon, the world's third largest canyon.

    Our first stop was to be God’s Window, a vantage point on the Drakensberg Escarpment where the cliffs drop 700 metres from the vantage point. On a clear day, visitors can see clear to the Mozambique border. We were going to combine seeing that vista with a short hike through an indigenous forest, but it was not to be. The fog was very thick, and we wouldn’t have been able to see anything.

    There was a stop called Pinnacle Rock nearby that wasn’t fogged in that Behki had never been at, so we took a chance on it. Behki is going to recommend it as a great option for future tours. The views were fabulous; it was easy to access; and there was a great little market there.

    Next stop was Bourke's Luck Potholes which is a series of natural geological formations that were formed by centuries of water flowing through the landscape. The potholes occur where the Treur River joins the Blyde River at the start of the Blyde River Canyon. In a continuous manner, the force of the water in these two rivers, combined with the particles of sand and rock that the rivers' transport, wears cylindrical potholes into the sandstone bedrock. Fabulous! A geologist’s dream!

    Next stop was Three Rondavels. This phenomenon is named after small, grass huts called rondavels due to its remarkable resemblance. The shapes are due to erosion of softer limestone, leaving harder quartzite behind. The Bapedi knew these formations as the Chief and his three wives. The flat-topped peak was named Mapjaneng ('the chief') after a legendary Bapedi chief, Maripi Mashile, who defeated invading Swazis in a great battle near here. The three peaks are named after his three wives – Magabolie, Mogoladikwe and Maseroto.

    Our last stop was Blyde River Canyon – It is part of the Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve is carved out of nearly 2,5 km of red sandstone. Also known as the Motlatse Canyon, it is the third largest canyon on Earth and is situated below the confluence of the Blyde ('joy') and Treur ('sorrow') rivers. The Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve is carved out of of red sandstone and is one of South Africa's most remarkable geological features. Also known as the Motlatse Canyon, it is the third largest canyon on Earth. Fabulous views on this clear, calm day.
    Read more