Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    May 22 - Evening Game Drive

    May 22, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    We hustled our way from the Panorama Route to Kapama Private Game Reserve. We had just enough time to check in and get our cameras ready for our 4:00 p.m. game drive. See a later post for photos of this fabulous place.

    Our spotter for our game drive was Tony who sat perched on a jump seat over top of the front left headlight on the safari vehicle. Harry, our driver, proved to be an expert at traversing the hilly, rutted unpaved roads. When it got dark, he swung a bright spotlight, left and right, left and right, looking for the light to bounce off the eyes of the animals.

    We saw eland and Zazu, the bird from the Lion King. On our way into the park, we had seen a mother giraffe and her 4-day old baby. So very sweet.

    And then we saw elephants – a bull and a baby. The baby elephant flapped his ears and his trunk and pretended to charge at us, all in an effort to appear ferocious. The main word we used to describe him was “cute”. It was the most adorable display of natural wildlife and one we will all remember.

    We stopped for a sundowner – drinks and snacks just as the sun went down on another exciting and informative day in South Africa. We didn't add any more animals to our BRELL count, but that's okay. We'll try again tomorrow.
    Read more