Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Oct 2 - Exploring the Pest of Budapest

    October 2, 2023 in Hungary ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    After lunch, we had some free time, so we walked over the green bridge to the Pest side of Budapest. First stop was the food hall which looks as if it might have been an old train station - the building is lovely inside and out. Today, it's home to food vendors selling meats, fish, paprika, baked goods, fruits, vegetables and anything else that you might need.

    Nearby, is a pedestrian-only shopping street. The wares displayed in the stores were much less expensive than in Vienna, so there were fewer opportunities to wonder which items the rich and famous might choose. The buildings were magnificent to look at - so many different styles, so much intricate iron work, so much class. Hope you enjoy the sampling of styles in the photos.

    We had to admit that we were tired and still had an hour's walk back to the ship, so we retraced our steps. Tonight we are having dinner at 5:00 p.m., because at 7:00 p.m. we are all going to a classical music concert. Thankfully, tomorrow morning we have free time.

    The concert was most enjoyable. Doug spied the Formula 1 racing track on the way to and from the venue. He liked that! The music was presented by eight musicians and two soloists, a soprano and a tenor, in a fabulous Baroque hall with soaring ceilings, sparkling chandeliers and gold leaf trim everywhere. On our return to the ship, there was a late-night buffet laid out for us. We enjoyed a drink and some nice conversation with our new friends, Virginia and Gerry, from Calgary. The ship set sail and we watched moon-lit Budapest slip away.

    Next stop - Kalocsa, Hungary which sits about 150 km south of Budapest.
    Read more