Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Nature World Bicheno

    March 14, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Today we spent the most part of the day at Nature World. It's a nature park dedicated to saving the Tassie Devil, the eastern quoll and the spotted quoll from extinction and providing a haven for other Australian animals. The park is set next to the sea and is quite extensive. There are mainly Australian animals on display. Those animals that can't be released into the bush and animals that need their populations boosting are kept at the park. They have two wedge tailed eagles on display in an open enclosure. They can't fly because their wings are injured. We went to various enclosures at certain times where the park guide Leo fed, handled and talked about the park and the animals. Found out that sugar gliders are not native to Tasmania. They think introduced in the 1880s. The road kill is much more prevalent in the eastern part of the state. It seems many of the parks animals have come from wildlife carers. It's a really well run park considering they get no government funding.
    We ate a home cooked lunch in the cafe. Delicious.
    Later in the day Neville and I walked from our shed accommodation to the beach. Very windy with cloud rolling in from the sea across the mountain tops.
    Atmospheric.
    Read more