Satellite
  • Day 51

    Through the mountains we go

    May 18, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We were supposed to check out Fox Glacier and Lake Mathieson today but it was raining and they were both fogged in so we head southeast to Queenstown.

    We head through the Haast Pass over the mountain range. The weather cleared up a bit and we were able to see some beautiful snow covered peaks, waterfalls and classic rainforest vegetation. At one point we stopped for a short walk through the forest to a large waterfall.

    On the other side of the pass it opened up to a beautiful lake, actually 2 lakes so we stopped for our ceremonial glass of wine and took in the view.

    We got into Queenstown just before dark and checked into our hotel. We got 6 nights in Queenstown by trading in miles. I could see that the location was really good, right in town but the reviews had been very mixed with a lot of people complaining about cleanliness. So needless to say we were a little nervous.

    To our surprise the place was great. Nothing special but clean, full kitchen, couch and TV, washing machine and dryer, decent bathroom, daily cleaning and a comfortable bed.

    We head out to dinner and found a pub on the wharf literally 2 minutes walk from our place and had an excellent meal for NZ$20 each.

    We then tried to find World Bar, I had read had good music but to no avail and ended up at a dive pool bar. Played some pool with 2 friendly locals and called it a night.
    Read more