Satellite
  • Day 39

    Bangkok

    August 22, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    The day started with a tuk tuk around the city. Everywhere we looked there were beautiful gold and white palaces and monuments covered in jewels. We walked down to the very smelly pier and got a taxi boat down the river towards the grand palace. Unfortunately we were told to get off at the wrong stop and had to wait for the next boat going back down the river. When we eventually got there most people were dressed all in black because Thailand is in a year of mourning after the King's death.

    We finally got in to the grounds of the palace and started to look round, but were then told the palace actually closes at 3 pm so we would have to leave. We decided we didn't want all that travel to be a waste so we walked down to Wat Pho, otherwise known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. It's a huge temple with a 46 metre gold reclining Buddha inside. The grounds also contain other smaller temples and stupas as well as a school for monks. There are sculptures of guardians protecting the gates of the temples. It was one of my favourite places we went to in Thailand, which made up for us not getting a good look at the palace. We then got a tuk tuk back to the hostel and went to the Koh San road for dinner and to have a look around the famous market.
    Read more