July - August 2017
  • Day41

    The Long Journey Home

    August 24, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    After a 7 am start we got to the airport for one of the best airport experiences I've ever had. We were the first up to the check in desk with no queue, managed to check our bags all the way to Dublin and got seats together on both flights. We then headed to passport control and security.

    When we got there the queues were the longest I have ever seen in an airport but just as we arrived they opened their second security section so we didn't have to queue at all, the same with passport control. After a ham and cheese panini it was time to board the plane. 12 hours later we arrived at Heathrow for the last leg of our journey back to Dublin. The first thing I did when I got home was get a drink of water from a tap (so sick of paying for water) and after giving Mum, Dad and Conor their presents, it was time to have a much needed sleep in my own bed .
    Read more

  • Explore, what other travelers do in:
  • Day40

    Bangkok- the final day

    August 23, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Today was the hottest day yet and we decided we couldn't manage another day touring around Bangkok, so we went to the MBK shopping centre. It is one of the biggest shopping centres in Bangkok with over 2000 shops. Although I didn't buy anything it was so interesting to look around the 7 floors at the different things in the shops. When we got back to the hostel we finished our packing and made sure we had everything ready to go home the next morning. That evening we went to a lovely restaurant for our final dinner and then headed to the night market to spend the last of our baht. Going to bed it was sad to think it was our last night, but I was excited knowing the next day (technically it was two days with the flights) we would be home and get to see everyone.Read more

  • Day39


    August 22, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    The day started with a tuk tuk around the city. Everywhere we looked there were beautiful gold and white palaces and monuments covered in jewels. We walked down to the very smelly pier and got a taxi boat down the river towards the grand palace. Unfortunately we were told to get off at the wrong stop and had to wait for the next boat going back down the river. When we eventually got there most people were dressed all in black because Thailand is in a year of mourning after the King's death.

    We finally got in to the grounds of the palace and started to look round, but were then told the palace actually closes at 3 pm so we would have to leave. We decided we didn't want all that travel to be a waste so we walked down to Wat Pho, otherwise known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. It's a huge temple with a 46 metre gold reclining Buddha inside. The grounds also contain other smaller temples and stupas as well as a school for monks. There are sculptures of guardians protecting the gates of the temples. It was one of my favourite places we went to in Thailand, which made up for us not getting a good look at the palace. We then got a tuk tuk back to the hostel and went to the Koh San road for dinner and to have a look around the famous market.
    Read more

  • Day38

    Chiang Mai - Bangkok

    August 21, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Our flight to Bangkok wasn't until 8 o'clock in the evening so we had the whole day to spend in Chiang Mai. We had to check out by 11 so got up and packed all our bags and left them in the hostel. We wandered in to the old town for one last look and bought a few postcards. We then decided to get a traditional Thai massage which was an interesting and slightly painful experience but was still funny. Afterwards we headed for a late lunch before getting our taxi to the airport. Unfortunately our flight was slightly delayed but we managed to entertain ourselves for a few hours and finally arrived in Bangkok where we were very relieved to arrive safely at our hostel following an interesting taxi journey!Read more

  • Day36

    Chiang Mai - Canyon Water Park

    August 19, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    All night and most of the morning there was a massive storm so we did a bit of washing, caught up on some sleep and then made our plans for the day. We got a taxi to Chiang Mai Canyon Water Park. It is set in an area that looks like a mini Grand Canyon. We were given our life jackets and headed to the water course. It was much harder than it looks and I don't think we were very good, much to the lifeguards' amusement. After a few hours we were completely wrecked and headed back to the hostel. When we got home we showered, changed and headed to the famous Saturday night market. One of the big streets in Chiang Mai is completely shut down and filled to the brim with hundred and hundreds of stalls. After spending way too much money we went back to the hostel for a well needed sleep.Read more

  • Day35

    Chiang Mai - ELEPHANT DAY

    August 18, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 26 °C

    After a very luxurious 2 hour journey in our very squishy Songthaew we arrived in the Chiang Mai jungle and got our first glimpse of the elephants. After a brief safety talk and a description of the sanctuary and its workings we got to meet the elephants. We were given bananas and sugar cane to feed them with but I think we spent more time trying to make sure they shared than feeding them, they are so greedy!! We spent the morning getting to know them and then took a small break for lunch (which was interrupted by one of the elephants when she decided she also wanted some pineapple). After lunch we got changed into our swimming gear and went down to the mud bath. The elephants were delighted to have a mud bath because it cools them down and is good for their skin. The only problem was that they thought we liked it just as much and enjoyed splashing us with it.

    Afterwards we went into the river to wash off and some of the elephants came and joined us. Although I didn't plan on getting that wet, the elephants had other ideas and decided it was fun to spray us with their trunks. We were so sad to leave the elephant park, but at five o clock it was time to say goodbye. We got back in our Songthaew and headed home for a much needed shower.
    Read more

  • Day34

    Chiang Mai - temple day

    August 17, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    After waking up to a traditional Thai breakfast of Pad Thai with a fried egg on top we got our map and set off for the day. We wandered around the old town, going to three different temples before getting a taxi to Chiang Mai's most famous temple, Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. To get to the temple we had to struggle up the 310 steep steps to the top. When we got to the top we weren't disappointed. The temple was huge and covered in gold and emeralds. We also had a view over the whole of Chiang Mai town . It was very impressive.Read more

  • Day33

    Chiang Mai- the long journey north

    August 16, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    From Koh Phi Phi we got a ferry back to Krabi, a bus to the airport, a flight up to Chiang Mai and then a taxi to our hostel. We somehow managed to get the emergency seats which made for a very comfortable flight. When we arrived in our hostel we were met by our lovely host Max. After finding our room, we headed into Chiang Mai old town for dinner before falling into bed .Read more

  • Day32

    Koh Phi Phi

    August 15, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Today we had planned on going on a tour of the Phi Phi islands but unfortunately a typhoon hit so our tour was cancelled . The sea was so choppy that although we were annoyed we wouldn't get to see the islands we were kind of relieved we wouldn't have to fight sea sickness . We were then left with a full day to spend on the island . We met up with the high school girls and strolled around the markets and explored the island a bit. Emily (Gaffney) arrived in the evening so we went for dinner together and all spent the evening in the Irish bar.Read more

  • Day31

    Koh Phi Phi - my favourite island

    August 14, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    After an early morning start we headed to the ferry port where we met half of Dublin who happened to be getting on the same boat as us. We got our seats on the boat and were ready to go when we realised there was no air conditioning or fans. As soon as we left the port we went outside and lay out on deck trying to get some fresh air. Apart from feeling a bit sea sick it was a fun journey as there were so many of us. After two hours we arrived at Koh Phi Phi . We were then told that there are no roads so we would have to walk to our hostel. Luckily all the hostels are along the same strip of beach and one of the guys had done his research so we just followed them. We checked in to our room and went to explore. After spending a long time bartering and getting an amazing deal on some T-shirts for Conor, we went for dinner. We spent the night going between an Irish bar and the beach. The whole island shuts down at 2 am to prevent noise pollution so after that we showered the sand off and headed to bed.Read more