Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Stonehenge

    May 3, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Nik - What can I say about Stonehenge? I've wanted to visit it forever. The history of the place has long captured my imagination.

    My first glimpse of the stones and I was lost in the magic of the place. It feels special. Important. We had an audio guide to listen to as we wondered and were told that years ago they had a specialist visit from overseas hoping he could explain to them why people with such simple tools, who you would think would be more concerned with basic survival needs, would build such a monolith, and why build it from stone. The time and effort it would take. The specialist explained the ancients would build in wood for the living, and stone for the dead...because stone lasts.

    It occurred to me what a time capsule the place is. It's the ancients link to the future. And our link to the past.

    I would have dearly loved to spend more time here. Bring a picnic blanket and soak up the history. But we had to get back to the tour bus.

    I had to bring home a souvenir, but time was short and I didn't have much time to browse the gift shop. I settled on a bluestone bead bracelet. The inner circle stones are bluestone, and the stones of my bracelet come from the same mine as the henge stones. A little piece of the magic to take home with me.

    Suzie - Seeing Stonehenge again was lovely! It was the same awe-inspiring feeling I had 5 years ago when I first saw them. I wanted to roll around in the soft grass and dance among the stones. I wanted to let on the burial mounds with respect and speak to the dead. I wanted to touch the stones and listen to their stories of their years and what they have seen.
    Read more