Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Glencoe

    May 17, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Suzie - I have been wanting to go here for quite some time for its history. I won't go into what happened here between Clan's Campbell and MacDonald. Suffice to say, it was horrible and while I previously knew about it, to hear it again wasn't nice.

    Today it's empty, quiet and peaceful

    Nik - This place is cold and starkly beautiful. It also has a horrible and confronting history.

    One day in 1692, during bitterly cold weather, members of Clan Campbell asked for shelter from Clan Macdonald. (Clan Campbell were under orders by the government at the time.)

    Highland code is that you must provide shelter to those who seek it. Even if that person (or group) is your sworn enemy. And indeed the Campbell's and MacDonald's were just that.

    After sheltering with the MacDonald's for some time, and acting under government orders, (or so the story goes) the Campbells slaughtered the MacDonalds, their hosts, men, women and children. (Obviously a BIG breech of Highland code in and of itself.)

    Now one might ask, why the MacDonald's and Campbells were enemies before this. Well, that would be because many years previously, the MacDonald's rounded up a big group of Campbells, men women and children, locked them in a building and set it on fire, killing everyone inside. (No wonder they were enemies.)

    The Scott's have a long memory, and even today, over 300 years later the two clans are still at odds. You can still find establishments with signs out the front announcing 'NO CAMPBELLS ALLOWED '.
    Read more