Satellite
  • Day 11

    Homeward Bound

    November 29, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Last day today. The morning is spent packing, well Janet’s morning is. School boy error by not taking a spare carry on case, so a quick dash out to buy one. We have to check out by midday, we get our luggage stored at the hotel and are out for our last afternoon.
    First stop is at pub recommended to me, good call it was too. Lovely Irish Breakfast to go with the coffee, tea and 🍻. Over to the Rockafella Centre but tours to the top are only available at 5.30 so we don’t chance it. We spend the rest of the afternoon wandering around in various shops. Think we’ve both had enough now and are ready for home to see the kids and of course our Pads.
    Coffee and cake back at the hotel before we nip out for some last minute keepsakes (keyrings/fridge magnets) then into the bar until the taxi to the airport arrives. We have worked out we have walked 77 miles whilst in NYC. And 23 in Memphis that’s 100 miles in total for the holiday, just as well with the food and alcoholic consumed. We arrive at JFK airport in plenty of time it’s only 16 miles but takes an hour and 15 minutes to get here. Glad I don’t have to drive here, they are nuts! Safely through check in with 90 minutes until boarding so what else to do 🍻. We are making the most it cos come Monday training starts 🏊‍♀️ 🚴‍♀️ 🏃‍♂️ 💪.
    The sort of flight we all like - uneventful even managed a couple of hour kip. Straight through customs, bags collected and onto the tube to Kings Cross, now I’m pretty sure that the world record for getting the most people into a Mini must be held by users of the London tube. We are closer than we should be young girls and old men and women but still they keep piling in, fortunately most had used the shower this morning. Straight to the parcel yard (pub at Kings Cross) for a couple of refreshments. Nice trip back, first class on the train to finish in style. It’s been a great holiday with lots of things ticked off the bucket list. For anyone thinking of going to either Memphis 3 nights was enough - you could probably do two days and nights. New York, maybe 7 days/nights was overkill and 5 would’ve been enough, but we didn’t want to be rushed 😀.
    I have got to add some thanks to a few people who have made this trip possible, Judith and Maurice for taking care of our Pads (its a great weight off knowing he is well loved and looked after whilst we are away). Grace for being sensible enough that we have the confidence to leave the house in her care, Joe for taking the time off work so we didn’t worry about him getting up on time 😂😂 and for “hoovering” 😂 and chauffeuring Grace 👍. Everyone that gifted us money for our anniversary, your generosity bought the Graceland tickets. Thank you to Josh, Shane & Hilary for looking after Lou la, very much appreciated and to everyone that has read and commented on this blog. And finally to Janet for being my girl, 32 years together (25 married) is some feat that she has achieved by putting up with me❤️🗽🇺🇸🍏✈️ 🕺 😘.
    Read more