Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Afro-Rio Vibes and Pedra do Sal

    September 11, 2023 in Brazil ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Each of the places we visit we learn a little more each time. The history and cultural development over time in South America is amazing. Tonight was to enjoy the vibrancy and festivity of the Afro-Rio community here. Meeting in an area by the docks where the slaves from Africa were off boarded from the Portugese colonist boats. Today it's filled with colour, loud music, food and drinks.

    The statue to welcome us to this street is Mercedes Baptista, the first black woman to join the corps de ballet at Teatro Municipal.

    When we arrived it was still early, and it would have been much busier if we left when expected. However at this point I was feeling too unwell and we had to cut it short. But we walked through the streets, had a drink and something to eat as we listened to the music.

    We sat at a bar beside Pedra do Sal. The birthplace of Samba. It is a rocky hill which served as the meeting place for Afro-Brazilian to get together and develop the music and the dance. Tonight it is where people would sit and watch on the steep hill and enjoy the happenings of the night.

    As we were leaving we noticed people walking around selling food labelled "Brownie Magico". Unfortunately I don't speak Portuguese so I'm not sure what it was.
    Read more