Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Valparíso

    September 14, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    "This is my favourite place." is what Alex turned to me and said as we walked around the colourful, sunny, warm and exciting port city of Valparíso. The reason is in the name, Paríso is Spanish for Paradise. The hills we visited were declared UNESCO World Heritage to maintain the rich history of these buildings from the era where all the ships would stop here to refuel before the Panama Canal was established.

    Steep hills mean only one thing, more funiculars! Originally the city had 16 of these in operation dating back over a century. But now only 5 are in operation and maintained. Which I joked with our guide that it is a little concerning.

    Covered in some of the most creative and beautiful street art that we've seen. An area that has attracted the Bohemian lifestyle of artists of all types. Walking through the crazy steep an narrow streets to the sound of people making music and selling their art. Nothing square or straight, you question how any of this stays up in a light breeze let alone an incredibly earthquake prone region.

    Alex was definitely in his element, wowing around every corner. It was such a contrast to yesterday where Santiago was very grey and plain.
    Read more