Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Isla del Sol

    September 21, 2023 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    A little boat all to ourselves took us over the waters of Lake Titicaca towards Sun Island. A beautiful day where the sun and sky were the perfect shades of blue.

    Sun Island has significant historical relevance. It is believed to be the birthplace of the Inca Empire. The sun god sending down two of his children to establish the empire. Here on this island the temples and ritual sites show Inca settlement.

    From a modern perspective, if you told me that I was on the Greek islands then I would have believed you. Stunning landscape and a view that just couldn't be described once you were up the hill, which at over 4000 metres wasn't the easiest.

    Welcoming us up the steps was a somewhat garden of Eden. Today happened to be the first day of spring here and the flowers and trees were complimenting that for us.

    At the top was the apparent fountain of youth. Three channels of water representing the three commandments of the Inca. Do not steal, do not lie and do not be lazy. I wouldn't make a good Inca. But we sat and washed our face in the water none the less. If I'm being honest, for the fountain of youth I was expecting something a little grander.

    We walked along the picturesque cobblestone path. No vehicles here, just donkies and alpacas to do the hard work.

    Alex purchased a necklace for himself from one of the Cholitas. An Andian cross made from obsidian. Believed to bring strength and grounding.

    Our last stop was Temple of Pilkokaina. A semi preserved temple from the Tiwunaki and Inca period.

    This was Alex's favourite day on the holiday so far. The beauty of this place was incredible. That mixed with there being almost no other tourist around. It would have been great to explore the rest of the island.
    Read more