Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá

    September 25, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    What I had in my mind when I saw we were going to a salt cathedral is the typical thought of a cathedral in a cave that we've all seen many times. It's really pretty and acoustics in a cave are great.

    But what I didn't expect was this place. It was a spiritual journey through the rise and fall of Jesus, thirteen chapters that were expertly designed and constructed through the use of the mine. No human figures were carved into the 13 chapters, instead the symbol of the cross was used to depict Jesus.

    This is a still active mine, extracting 40 tonnes of salt per day. The sheer scale and impressiveness of this site is impossible to convey in pictures. Not to mention it is 120m underground too.

    Then when you think you've seen everything, the place continues with a more commercial side of it. Cafes and shops built into these huge chasms of where the salt was extracted. And a beauty and massage room that comes highly recommended apparently. Using the fine salt to help soothe and revitalise you in an extremely gorgeous setting. (I should be in their payroll). On its own, the retail side of this place was impressive.

    Salt makes an incredible reflector. There is an area of water that is only 10cm deep but with 80% salt and the reflection of the pool was literally mirror finish.

    We've seen some impressive cathedrals on this trip. But nothing compares to this.
    Read more